Effective: July 31, 2020
Last Updated: July 8, 2021
Beautiful Math Minds LLC is dedicated to sharing our love of math, creative problem-solving, and interdisciplinary project-based learning to inspire children to learn math to the highest level! As an educational service provider used by children and families, we take the privacy of our users very seriously. Your privacy and that of your students is important to us:
● We do not use personal information to market or advertise to you or your children, nor do we permit third parties to do so. Our website and apps do not show advertising.
● We do not sell user personal information.
This policy has been adopted to address the collection and use of information from the Beautiful Math Minds website, but we also adhere to the privacy policies for Beast Academy Online, Flipgrid, and Google Classroom which we use as Supplementary Learning Tools (SLT). We collect and use information from users in order to efficiently and effectively provide our services. We will never sell or rent users’ personal information to third-parties as part of providing our services. This policy will explain:
- What information we collect about you and why we do it;
- Who provides us with this information and when they do it;
- How you can update, receive, and delete this information; and
- How we collect, use, share, disclose, and protect this information.
Please also see our Terms of Service for more information on the services we provide. This includes your use of those services and any SLT we may use to provide such services.
What Information Does Beautiful Math Minds Collect?
As part of our services, we may collect some personal information about you and/or your child. This information is received and collected in various ways and is needed:
- To register you and/or your child as a user to participate through our website and SLT for access and rendering of our services;
- To communicate with you and/or your child or to request information and feedback’
- To display project instructions, results, and assignments;
- To provide general program news;
- To improve the quality of, and to grow, our services; and
- To personalize your and/or your child’s experience on our website, the SLT we use, and through our services.
Sensitive Information. We do not knowingly accept sensitive information and will take reasonable steps under the law to destroy any sensitive information provided to us. Please do not provide us with any sensitive information, such as social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, tax numbers, civil registration numbers, or health insurance information. The only information we accept that a user may determine to be sensitive in nature is a birthdate. A birthdate is necessary to assign a user to appropriate programs. You may opt-out of providing a birthdate for your child, or request that we remove it by contacting us, but this will limit your and your child’s use of our services.
Payment Information. If we collect your billing address, we may keep it in an invoice for our records on a secure server, which is a protected, electronic filing cabinet that stores all of your information we have collected, our information, and the information of others. If we collect your credit card or debit card information, it and your billing address may be sent to our vendor to process your payment. Basic sales data, such as the services and products purchased, will also be collected.
Information Users Provide
Beautiful Math Minds collects different types of information from students and parents. This information is received and collected in various ways and is needed to provide information related to your child’s results from participating in programs, lessons, instructions, and/or events.
● Contact Information: Parents may choose to provide us with their name, email address, and/or phone number while interacting with our sites and services. For instance, you may provide contact information in order to sign up for an account, sign up for email updates, complete a purchase, or submit a contact form or support request. Students are not asked for their own contact information. If you are a Parent, we may use your email address for marketing purposes, but only if you give your express permission to do so, and such permission may be withdrawn at any time by contacting us or through the unsubscribe link in an email or by emailing us directly at email@example.com and requesting to be removed. We may share your email address with a third-party email campaign program only for the purposes of sending these emails, and will not otherwise share your email with third parties except when required by law. We will never sell or rent your contact information to third parties.
● Student Data Provided by a Parent: Parents may provide information about their children to register them for our services. This information may be shared with any other parents or who are linked and authorized by the accessing parent to view and access a student’s account. A student’s full name (First + Last Name) will never be made publicly available on our website by us.
● Student Performance Data: As students use SLTs, their progress and performance (“Student Performance Data”) may be stored. This data is stored in order to fulfill the educational purposes of the service and to analyze and improve our services. The parent(s) linked to a Student’s account can see reports on that student’s Student Performance Data.
● Communication Tools: Beautiful Math Minds may offer communication tools through which students may be able to post messages to our staff, their parent(s) or other authorized, linked persons, or other students. Parents maintain the primary responsibility to ensure all communication tools are used appropriately by accessing their student’s account to review any communication with or by their child/ren on the SLTs. Additionally, a parent or other authorized and linked adult may choose to provide contact information (e.g., email, phone, text) to obtain regular updates from us.
● Payment Information: Beautiful Math Minds offers numerous services for purchase online, including online summer camps, lessons, clubs, classes, and educational consultation. Some of our services and access to the SLTs are purchased and retained only as long as a student is part of that service. We collect certain information from a customer who is purchasing service through our website, third-party payment platforms (e.g. PayPal), and forms completed by the customer. Such information may include: name, address, billing address, credit card information, other information related to other forms of payment, email address, and phone numbers. This information is used to process purchases and to contact you if there is an issue with your purchase. We will share this information with our credit card payment processing vendor. Additionally, your name, shipping address, email address, and/or phone number may be shared with the United States Postal Service or other private carrier, for the purpose of delivering any invoices or goods related to the services to your shipping address. We will store all of this information on our secure server (e.g. Google Drive and OneDrive) except for your credit card information, which is only retained until your payment has been processed and is not stored thereafter; however, this information may be retained by our credit card processor in order to process additional transactions. You will be notified via email of each transaction. We will not use this information for any purpose other than to process your purchase and will not share this information with any other third party, except as described above, or as may be required by law.
Information Collected Automatically:
As part of our services, we may collect some anonymous information about you. This information is needed to allow us to:
- Improve the quality of and to grow our services; and
- Attempt to fix any issues we or you and/or your child may have with our services or SLTs.
Device and Use Data: Like most websites, we automatically collect certain technical information from your browser or device when you visit our website. We collect technical information such as your device’s IP address, socket id, web browser version, and operating system. We collect information on which pages users visit and how you use the website. We use this information to optimize your online experience for your device, to diagnose any problems with our server, to improve the performance of our website, and to provide support for our internal operations.
We also allow cookies to be placed on your computer by a third party for the purpose of website analytics. This allows a third party to collect data about your use of our website; however, no personally identifiable information is collected. Our third-party service providers may set cookies on a user’s web browser and/or obtain information about the fact that a web browser visited the Beast Academy website from a certain IP address. Third parties cannot collect any other personally identifiable information from Beautiful Math Minds’ website unless you provide it to them directly.
We generally use the data collected from third-party cookies in the following ways:
● to report, in aggregate, how our visitors find and use our website;
● to understand overall visitor behavior; and
● to inform how we update and improve our website.
For any questions about how we or any third-party uses your data, please do not hesitate to contact us.
IP Address. Some of the information we collect is identified by a unique Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is a unique number assigned to you by someone else, typically your internet service provider (ISP), such as Verizon® or Comcast®, or through a device, such as a router or modem, that allows you to connect to the Internet. While these numbers may appear to be nothing more than a string of numbers with periods, an IP address has the ability to potentially identify you. For example, in some circumstances, an ISP may be subpoenaed, which is a legal request for information, with such request asking an ISP to identify the account subscriber connected with the IP address that the ISP issued. In response, an ISP, subject to certain rights and responsibilities, may provide an account subscriber’s information, which may include the name, address, and other contact information of an account subscriber. While the likelihood of this circumstance is remote for most IP addresses, we wanted you to at least know why an IP address may be considered personal information as opposed to strictly anonymous information.
How Else May Beautiful Math Minds Use Collected Information?
Consistent with the information collection practices outlined above, we share information with service providers if necessary, for them to perform a business, professional, or technology support function for us. This includes SLTs, with whom we collaborate to provide services. We may combine the different types of information we collect in order to improve the site, perform analysis, or offer support. Our practices conform with the law and the consent provided on behalf of students and children. We may also disclose a user’s personal information if permitted or required by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena.
The security and confidentiality of your personal information is very important to us. We implement commercially reasonable physical, technical, and administrative security methods to protect the information we collect from users. While the security of your personal information is of the utmost importance to us, we cannot absolutely guarantee the security of any information you choose to disclose.
Beautiful Math Minds will retain personal information collected online only as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the educational purpose for which it was collected.
INFORMATION OF CHILDREN – ATTENTION PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Information We Collect from Children
Information We Collect Directly
A child must provide us with the following information to register for our services: the child’s name, birth date, and a parent or guardian’s email address. We also assign the child a member name and password to access some of the SLTs. We may request additional information from your child, but this information is optional. We specify whether information is required or optional when we request it. Please help us protect your children’s privacy by teaching them never to provide personal information without your permission. We encourage you to spend time with your children when they are online or using any mobile device or connected product so you understand the features of any service and the activities they allow, and to adopt available device and browser controls that reflect your preferences about your child’s/children’s ability to access the Internet or make purchases online.
Automatic Information Collection
We use technology to automatically collect certain information from our users, including children, when they access and navigate through our website and SLTs. The information we collect through these technologies may include:
- One or more persistent identifiers that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different websites and online services.
- Information that identifies a device’s location (geolocation information).
We may also combine non-personal information we collect through these technologies with personal information about you or your child that we collect online.
Our Practices for Disclosing Children’s Information
We do not share, sell, rent, or transfer children’s personal information other than as described in this section. We may disclose aggregated information about many of our users for purposes of the services and goods provided, including the website and access to services and goods via SLTs. In addition, we may disclose children’s personal information:
- To third parties we use to support the internal operations of our website and applications and who are bound by contractual or other obligations to use the information only for such purpose and to keep the information confidential;
- If we are required to do so by law or legal process, such as to comply with any court order or subpoena or to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Beautiful Math Minds LLC, our customers or others, including to:
o Protect the safety of a child;
o Protect the safety and security of our services; or
o To enable us to make precautions against liability.
- To law enforcement agencies of for an investigation related to public safety.
Accessing and Correcting Your Child’s Personal Information.
At any time, you may review the child’s personal information maintained by us, require us to correct of delete personal information, and/or require us to take commercially reasonable efforts to no longer collect or use your child’s information. You can review, change, or delete your child’s personal information by:
- Logging into your child’s account and visiting his or her account profile page; or
- Contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions on how to access your child’s information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
SAFETY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take certain security measures to help protect your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Our website and SLTs we use to render services may contain links to websites operated by other people or companies that are not controlled by us. We have no responsibility or liability for the policies, activities or content of these other websites. We store your information on a secure server as explained above and we exchange emails in a secure manner and using a secure software. However, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized persons will always be unable to defeat or circumvent our security measures. In the event that we learn that our security measures were breached, we will take immediate steps to attempt to notify the public.
DISCLAIMER. We may also share your personal information or anonymous information as required by law, in a matter of public safety or policy, as needed in connection with the transfer of our business assets (e.g., if we are bought by another company), or if we believe in good faith that sharing the information is necessary to protect our rights or property.
Questions about this policy or with regards to parental rights provided under COPPA may be sent to:
Beautiful Math Minds
Attn: Jennifer Mendez
11850 Freedom Dr. Apt 517
Reston, VA 20190
with a copy (which shall not constitute notice) sent to:
McClanahan Powers, PPLC
Attn: Robert Powers, Esq.
8113 Leesburg Pike, Suite 130
Vienna, VA 22182
Disclaimer of Other Sites’ Practices
We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other sites.